You may never have considered how to make a dog throw up, but the truth is that it is information that all caregivers should acquire. It is essential, for example, in case of poisoning. Although the recommendation is to fly to the vet, if the journey is long or we discover the dog just when the poison is swallowing, it is possible to take measures at home. Inducing vomiting is among the basic first aid for dogs.
Read more: what can i give my dog for pain?
In this article, we are going to explain how to make a dog throw up when to do it and what options are discouraged. In any case, remember that you have to visit the vet.
Table of Contents
What to consider before making a dog throw up?
Sometimes, as soon as caregivers discover or suspect that their dog has ingested a potentially toxic substance, their first reaction is to find what to give the dog to make it throw up, but making it vomit is not always the best option. In fact, in the case of the ingestion of corrosive products, it is counterproductive, since we would make it go back up through the digestive tract, causing more damage. For this reason, it is important to have the toxic substance identified and, always, in case of doubt, call the vet to tell us the steps to follow. In addition, there are other circumstances in which a dog should not be made to vomit. These are:
If two hours or more have passed since the ingestion of the toxic product, although the exact time will depend on the substance. There is no point in worrying about how to make your dog throw up because the substance has probably already been assimilated by the body and is in the bloodstream.
The poison ingested is a petroleum derivative, such as gasoline or solvents, or it is a corrosive or irritant product, such as acids, ammonia, quicklime, bleach, the contents of car batteries or caustics.
Read more: How Much Benadryl Can I Give my Dog?
The dog is unconscious or in a stupor, shows neurological disorders, has trouble breathing, cannot swallow, or has already vomited.
If you have swallowed a large or sharp object, it could cause a tear and consequent internal bleeding.
If the product label advises against it. On the contrary, in general, it is recommended that you know how to make a dog throw up if he has ingested aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, toxic plants for dogs, or methylxanthines.
In any case, remember that you must be clear about how to make a poisoned dog vomit so as not to aggravate the damage. If you doubt the appropriateness of inducing vomiting in a dog or how to do it, before even trying, always call the vet.
How to make a dog throw up with salt?
Once you are sure that it is relevant, it is important to know how to make a dog throw up safely and effectively, since not all the options that you can find online are recommended. For example, ipecac syrup is discouraged due to its potential toxicity. In this and the following sections, we will review the substances most used to explain whether or not they serve to induce vomiting in dogs.
First of all, we will talk about how to make the dog throw up with salt. Specifically, the oral administration of a saturated solution of water with sodium chloride or placing a pinch of salt as far back as possible in the throat has an emetic effect in this species. For this you need:
- A glass of water.
- 1-3 tablespoons of salt.
- A syringe without a needle (optional).
It involves mixing the water and salt well until a homogeneous solution is achieved to administer directly into the mouth or with the help of a syringe. This is placed on the side of the mouth, in the hole behind the tusk. In about 10-15 minutes it should take effect. You will notice that the dog is restless, drooling and it becomes apparent that he is trying to vomit.
The problem with salt is that it can cause hyponatremia, which is a high concentration of sodium in the blood. That is why there are veterinarians who advise against this method and, if it is used, it will be necessary to control the dog, regardless of whether or not it has been achieved vomiting.
How to make a dog throw up with hydrogen peroxide?
The most recommended option if we ask ourselves how to make a dog throw up at home is to resort to 3% hydrogen peroxide. It is a product that is usually part of medicine cabinets, given its use as a topical disinfectant, so it is easy for us to have it on hand. In addition, as long as the correct dosage is followed, it is a safe and fast method, although it is necessary to ensure that there is no aspiration of the liquid. You need:
- 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- A glass.
- A teaspoon.
- A syringe without a needle (optional).
It is about putting a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in the glass for every 4.5 kg of the dog’s weight. It can be offered in the drinker or, if the dog does not accept it, administered with a syringe. If vomiting has not been triggered after one application, the same procedure can be repeated up to two more times at 15–20-minute intervals.
What else can we do?
Now that we know how to effectively make our dog vomit, we can still take some more action before taking the dog to the vet. The point is to prevent the absorption of the poison as much as possible. To do this, he resorts to:
Activated carbon: it is a product with a porous structure, which gives it a tremendous absorption capacity, hence its usefulness in case of ingestion of toxins since it can prevent them from passing into the blood. The dosage depends on the format we have. It is advisable to include it in our medicine cabinet.
Laxatives: they work by encouraging intestinal transit, in such a way that they contribute to the elimination of the poison through the feces. There are different laxatives that our vet can prescribe.
Enema: consists of the introduction of liquid through the anal route to achieve rapid evacuation of stool. We cannot use those marketed for people, but hot water, 5-10 ml per kg of weight, serves as an enema. The problem is that it is applied with a rubber catheter, connected to a syringe, which is lubricated and inserted a few cm into the rectum. We will not always have the materials at home or will be able to manage them.
If you have any of these products at home, call your vet before using them and follow their instructions. Then go to the clinic, as the dog must be checked and assessed. If possible, carry the ingested poison or its label.