For pet parents, finding healthy dog food is a must. Like humans, dogs are what they eat and a balanced diet will help ensure that your dog is happy and healthy for many years to come. Research shows that a fresh vet-approved diet has a huge impact on a dog’s well-being. Studies indicate that a diet based on the best ingredients prevents heart disease, improves sleep, increases brain function, promotes a shiny coat, among many other benefits. Sometimes dog owners have questions about why their dogs aren’t so physically training-ready. Food makes a great ally when it comes to dog activities. The dog needs its vitamins, meat so it can endure every day and training activities.
Your dog’s food should not only be fresh, but balanced. When it comes to commercially produced dog food, you will often find some healthy ingredients, many not so healthy that are used as potentially dangerous fillers and additives. Remember that when you read the label on dog food, the ingredients are listed by weight from highest to lowest. Look for the best things at the top and avoid any food with words you don’t recognize.
These are the most important components of your dog’s diet. Each Pet’s Table dog food recipe includes these ingredients in a formulation that meets the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
The 10 healthiest food ingredients for dogs:
It should come as no surprise that meat is the most important component of your dog’s diet. Dogs are pre-programmed to go crazy for meat! Every dog is different, but a general rule of thumb is that your dog’s food should be at least 30 percent lean protein. Meat helps dogs maintain a healthy weight and keeps their muscles and joints strong as they age.
- Organ meat
On a par with lean muscle-based proteins, organ meats are an important ingredient in dog food. Feeding organ meats to a dog mimics the way the ancestors would eat in nature and provides critical vitamins and nutrients for your dog.
Right after protein sources, carbohydrates are critical. Carbohydrates, such as those found in vegetables and fruits that provide instant energy for dogs and are part of a balanced diet. Soy, corn and wheat are considered low-quality ingredients, and many dogs are sensitive to these. Look for carbohydrates like sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli, legumes, and berries.
- Healthy fats
Fats are not the enemy! They are an essential part of a dog’s diet. Healthy fats, the ones found in meats, do everything from promoting proper cellular function to enhancing your dog’s coat. Other good fat sources include sunflower oil, coconut oil, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and olive oil.
Both soluble and insoluble fibre ensure that a dog’s digestive tract advances while helping maintain a healthy weight, prevent anal gland disease, and prevent obesity. Finding the right amount of fibre for your dog can be tricky, so if you’re not sure what’s right for your dog, check out these basic guidelines.
Electrolytes such as sodium, chloride, and potassium are important for almost every aspect of your dog’s health, from proper organ function to muscle mass. When a dog’s electrolyte balance is off, this can lead to kidney or other organ failures.
Dogs require that their food sources contain vitamins, including vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, and choline. While a dog can get most of its vitamin needs from natural food sources, sometimes dog food will contain an extra boost. If your dog’s food is “complete and balanced,” he does not need to supplement with additional vitamins unless recommended by a veterinarian.
- Essential fatty acids
Dogs can produce certain types of fatty acids on their own, but they require two types in their diet: omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-6 fatty acids can be delivered through fat found in meat or poultry, but omega-3s come from sources such as fish oil and flaxseed. Make sure the dog food you give your pet contains both.
The minerals in dog food are sometimes called “trace minerals” because your dog needs them in very small amounts. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t important! A mineral deficiency can lead to health problems including bone and joint disorders, impaired immunity, and anaemia.
Superfoods for dogs aren’t exactly a one-size-fits-all category, but they deserve a special mention. Superfoods are like dog nutrition superheroes. The best foods will include them in their ingredients. Superfoods for dogs include chia seeds, blueberries, pumpkin, broccoli, carrots, among others.
Now let’s find out which are the top picks of healthiest dog food available.
- Diamond Naturals
- The high-quality protein made food
- Premium ingredients with vitamins and minerals, fatty acids for skin and coat, superfoods for hard-working antioxidants
- No corn or wheat fillers
- Perfect for all stages of life and all ages
- The amino acid complex is built for stronger and leaner muscles
- An ideal balance of antioxidants, superfoods, and fatty acids
- Affordable price
- Not smells good to some dogs
- In various dogs, the food causes skin problems
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
- Made with real meat
- The highest quality of protein sources with its red meat
- Boosts your dog’s immune system in the long run
- Great combinations of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants,
- Contains Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to improve your dog’s skin and coat
- Lovable smell to dogs
- Lowers the blood sugar for dogs with high cholesterol
- A great option for weight management
There is one con about this dog food, also alarming one to some dogs since the brown rice formula contains arsenic, which can be very harmful.
- The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Chicken Recipe
- Tasty set of ingredients with free-range chicken, carrots, organic oats, and banana.
- Easy digestion and optimal nutrient retention
- A natural food recipe that eliminates fillers, artificial preservatives, and by-products
- Suitable for dogs of all ages
- The authentic final product that has been prepared in a human food facility
- Maximum nutrition dog food
- The potatoes are not as tasty as the other ingredients
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Healthy Formula
- Made with a natural healthy formula for adult dogs
- It’s made with real turkey
- Antioxidant blend that stimulates the strong immune system
- Ideal fibre content to combat weight loss and encourage smoother digestion
- The formula contributes to strong muscles and a healthy heart
- Excellent taste
- Contains fillers and meat by-products
- A bit pricier