Quality survival food is very important because when you’re preparing for an emergency, remember that your brain is your most valuable asset, therefore, to be able to continue using it.
A good emergency survival staple kit is just foods that have a long shelf life, a good nutritional profile, and ideally are easy to cook. There are millions of options out there but not every one of them has the same quality. So let us help you to find the best survival food kits!
Mountain House Essential Bucket
The most important thing is that this product comes in at an affordable price, and for that price, it does include a whole lot of servings. Here are some of the
- Comes with a total of 32 servings (it should last about 10 days)
- The bucket is very durable with a secure lid
- 30-year shelf life
- Tasty foods such as Mountain House Rice and Chicken, Mountain House Chili Mac With Beef, and Mountain House Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. Also beef stroganoff, beef stew, chicken teriyaki with rice, noodles, and chicken, granola bars with blueberries, etc.
- The foods are easy to prepare (add hot water to the pouches, wait 10 minutes, and that’s all)
We’ve shared the pro’s but what about the cons?
The only thing that is negative about this product is that does not contain too many vitamins. Simply it’s lacking in terms of greens and veggies. And it’s not the best option for more than 2 people. Also, it won’t taste good if cooked with cold water.
Augason Farms 30-day Emergency Food Storage Supply
This product is a way to go when it comes to supplying for multiple people if you need a portion of really big emergency food.
- 20-year shelf life
- Air and moisture can’t get to the food
- Total of 307 servings of food and a total of 50,000 calories (for a single person for over one month; 2 people – for a little over two weeks)
- Easy prep meal – mix with hot water, if it’s not available cold water will do as well
- Contains foods such as creamy potato soup, hearty veggie chicken soup, cheesy broccoli rice, brown sugar oatmeal, instant potatoes, mac and cheese, creamy chicken rice, milk alternative, banana chips…
- High in calories
What are the cons?
Some of the foods don’t taste the best and the banana chips only last 10 years.
NorthWest Fork Gluten-Free 30 Day Emergency Food Supply
This bucket is great if you need a 30-day food supply or a 2 week supply for 2 people. Also, this product is vegan, dairy, kosher, nut, gluten, and GMO-free.
- Does not have any animal or meat-based products, totally kosher
- Excellent if you have allergies or certain eating restrictions
- The food tastes good enough
- Maximum freshness, completed with oxygen and moisture absorbers
- 10-year shelf life
- Food such as topical triple trio oatmeal, strawberry banana oatmeal, black bean stew, green pea soup, pinto bean stew, black bean chipotle stew
What’s there not to like?
This pack is not ideal for anybody without eating restrictions and the fact that has limited shelf life compared to other MREs.
O.S Rations Survival Emergency Food Kit
This kit has a unique option, that comes with purified drinking water. That’s something you don’t get with other emergency food kits.
- 12 servings of purified survival water
- 8 energy bars (each with 400 calories per bar) for two to three days. They come in various fruit flavors such as orange, lemon, raspberry, coconut, blueberry, cherry, and more.
- Easy to make with water and super tasty
- Designed to keep the meals fresh up for 5 years even in extreme weather conditions
The bad part is that there is just not much food included and the fact that it only lasts for 5 years.
Emergency Food Rations Case
In need of long-lasting emergency food for the years to come? This is the kit! Also, have in mind that here you just get energy and calorie-rich bars.
- It lasts for a whole 1 month (for one person)
- 10 pouches included and each contains 3600 calories
- Packed with all the vitamins and nutrients, and they come in various fruit flavors
- The bars don’t require any water or heating
- Enough nutrients to sustain life
- 5-year shelf life
- The bars can withstand temperatures of -40 to 149°C
What about the cons?
As you already read the kit has a limited shelf life, the taste is mediocre at best and there is no variety.